Web design and new media are fast-growing career areas. A web design school provides students with the skills needed to succeed in this new industry.
As a high school student, you probably spend plenty of time surfing the web. Your generation grew up in the digital age, and is more comfortable with smart devices than your parents can imagine.
But did you ever wonder how all this technology comes into existence? If you are a creative type with a curiosity for making our world more accessible and efficient, consider attending a web design school to further your education. The school can give you a behind-the-scenes look at the world of web design and new media. It can also provide you with the skills to become a successful working professional in one of these exciting fields.
What is web design and new media?
As you might imagine, web design involves creating all those pages that you access and use every day. Yet, it is a lot more than just generating some flashy graphics, embedding a video, and adding some catchy content. The website attracts attention, fulfills its specific purpose, works on all devices, and motivates the visitor to take action. A lot of research and complicated thought processes go on behind the scenes to make all of this appear easy!
On the other hand, new media refers to the new technological interfaces that appear to be popping up every day. For some great examples, think Apple Watch, apps that connect smartphones to home appliances, or the quickly-evolving Internet of Things. Learning to design websites or create new technological interfaces might lead you to classes where you study how to:
- Create visually appealing websites
- Design new devices for a specific purpose
- Learn to create a better user experience
- Understand the technology, programming and coding needed to produce digital innovations
What are some career paths in web design and new media?
Obtaining a web design degree at a qualified institution can open a wide world of career possibilities for you. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, “Employment of web developers is projected to grow 15 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations. Demand will be driven by the growing popularity of mobile devices and e-commerce.” Possible career paths include:
- Graphic developer
- Online video producer
- Game developer
- App developer
- Smart device creator
- Interactive experience developer
- Motion graphics designer
- Experience support professional
- Multimedia artist
- And more – the possibilities grow every day!
What are the benefits of attending a web design school?
There are many ways to obtain the knowledge and experience necessary to enter the world of web design and new media. Yet, one of the best is to attend a web design school where you can benefit from:
- Up-to-date resources
- Hands-on access to state-of-the-art equipment
- Exposure to qualified mentors and experienced faculty members who will guide you and provide invaluable feedback on your ideas and creations
- Collaboration and networking opportunities with like-minded peers
- The ability to draw from other areas to expand your understanding of your specialty
- The opportunity to build your own portfolio and present it to businesses looking for talented young individuals
A career in web design and new media might be just the right path for your future! Give yourself a head start by attending a school that gives you the knowledge and support you need to succeed.
To learn more about contemporary digital art and design in tech, visit the Academy of Art University School of Web Design & New Media page. Request more information to speak with an admissions representative or work on your application today!