The School of Fashion at Academy of Art University defines fashion styling as “creating fashion imagery and outfits based on a concept” – a central philosophy that is undoubtedly reflected in the thematic work of the Fashion Styling program’s students and alumni.
As the only accredited B.F.A. fashion styling degree program in the United States, the Academy’s Fashion Styling department prides itself on developing graduates who are prepared to enter the fashion industry with a keen sartorial eye, business acumen and versatility for a fast-changing market.
According to School of Fashion Associate Director Flore Morton, who established the styling program in 2013, “There was no other university-level styling program to look at, and no books about fashion styling. The foolproof methodology developed over the years to acquire the styling skills and succeed in the industry is very unique, and it works.”
“I based [the program] on my own journey and the feedback I received from industry professionals,” she said. “From there, I established a set of goals for the program to achieve.”
Some of the goals Morton listed are:
- Developing an industry-standard portfolio supported by well-produced imagery
- Learning all aspects of production and art direction
- Independently booking models, photographers, and makeup artists
- Diversification in styling skills to handle the range from commercial to editorial
- Learning the basics of photography, hair styling, makeup artistry, fashion journalism, and marketing
“At the Academy, we understand it takes a lot of courage for students to pursue their dreams, and also a lot of work.” Morton states. “It is our responsibility to do everything we can to provide excellence in education, resources, equipment and support along the way to help facilitate their dreams.”
“We are here when they succeed, and we are here when they fail. That’s what we do—support—relentlessly, and with passion.”
– Flore Morton
Recent fashion styling graduates have moved on to amazing opportunities working side-by-side with some of the most influential designers and stylists in the global market for brands like Acne Studios, Rebecca Taylor, and Adidas by Stella McCartney. Check out the Academy of Art’s Fashion Styling program to learn more, and stay tuned for more awesome work from our Fashion Styling students.
Interview by Nina Tabios from the Academy Art U News
Hero Image: Styling and art direction by Katelyn Johnson, B.F.A. fashion styling, and Aubrey Kia, A.A. fashion styling. Photography by Mark Elzey, B.F.A. photography.
1) Styling by Abby Qi, A.A. fashion styling. “New Classics” for King Kong Magazine, Nov 2017. Photography by Ricardo Rivera. Hair by Jazmin Kelly. Makeup by Raoul Alejandre. Model: Tricia Akello, Muse Agency.
2) Styling and art direction by Yen Nguyen, B.F.A. styling, for IMute Magazine, June 2018. Photography by Raj Bhardwaj. Hair and makeup by Marine Vaisset. Clothing by Ryan Yu and Mehrzad Hemati, M.F.A. fashion design. Model: Alyssa Moore, Stars Management.
3) Styling and art direction by Umi Jiang, B.F.A. fashion styling, for 180 Magazine, issue nine. Photography by Zeynep Enderoglu, B.F.A. photography. Model: Olivia at Stars Model Management. Hair by Kurt Musrasik. Makeup by Jill Marie, Scout Creatives.